darkstarblog@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

I know it sounds silly to some people, but one of my favorite hobbies is bottling the food we grow. Some people call it canning, but I put food in bottles so I call it bottling. It's almost a year since I last wrote and I posted some apple and plum recipes so you may want to scroll back and look at them. I just bottled 27 pints of sweet cucumber relish and have some people asking for the recipe - so here it is:

CUCUMBER RELISH
6 cups ground unpeeled cucumbers
1 ground green pepper
1 ground red pepper
3 ground onions
3 cups finely diced celery
1/2 cup salt
3 2/1 cups sugar
2 cups white vinegar
1 Tbsp. celery seed
1 Tbsp. mustard seed

Grind veggies with a course blade on grinder. Combine in
a large bowl, sprinkle with salt, cover with water if not enough
liquid from veggies. Let stand 4 hours or over night. Drain
and press all the water out of the veggies ... DO NOT rinse.
Combine sugar, vinegar, celery & mustard seeds & bring to a 
boil stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in drained veggies.
Simmer 10 minutes. Pack in clean, sterile jars 1 inch from top.
Water bath 10 minutes. Makes 5-6 pints. I 3x it and get 16
pints. 

This relish is awesome on hot dogs, in macaroni salads, deviled eggs,
tarter sauce, (mayo, mustard, relish:) and mixed with tuna or chicken
and mayo for a yummy salad.

Have a beautiful day!

Hugs

Carol:)

No comments:

Post a Comment